Aromatic candles not only create a pleasant atmosphere but are also very useful if your goal is to use them in aromatherapy, to relax, whatever the use, the advantage of making them at home is that you can choose the scent essences you like best. And decorate them the way you like it.
What do you need?
- Paraffin wax or refined wax
- A mold or molds for candles of different sizes
- A casserole dish
- Holding rod
- Aroma essences: Lavender, jasmine, cinnamon, orange, eucalyptus, coconut, apple, etc.
- Wick (is the small wick or cord used to light the wick)
All you need to make homemade scented candles is very easy to find
How to make them?
Once you have everything you need to make the scented candles together, it’s time to work, try to make it an activity that relaxes you while doing something new and different.
- Place as much paraffin as you think you need, this will depend on how many candles you plan to make.
- Begins to melt the paraffin or wax in a bain-marie pot, with a spatula or wooden spoon begins to stir very well
- Stir until it is completely melted and liquid.
- Let the previous mixture cool down a little, and gradually add the scent(s) of your choice, taking care that the wax is not too hot, because it could alter and diminish the aromatic properties of the essences, in addition to which the smell can evaporate.
- Once the essence is added, stir well and in the mold you have chosen for the candle, grease it with a little vegetable oil, also the wick.
- Then pour all or a little of the mixture into the mold that has been chosen for the shape of the candle.
How to fix the wick?
It’s very simple, and for that, you need the bra or rod, or, if you don’t have it, a pencil or stick can be useful. Tie one end of the wick or wick to the holding rod, it should be in the center, you can insert it into the mold, to make it easier for you to put the wick, make sure it is straight and in the center of what will be the candle.
How long should I let it go on?
In order for the wax, wick and essential oil to take the right consistency, and for the scented candles to look good if they are made several times, it is necessary to leave them to cool for at least five hours.
How to demould scented candles?
The key to demoulding is very simple, just turn the mould around, and you will notice that the candle can be removed very easily and simply. If this does not happen, it means that there is still time to get the right consistency. If you prefer, you can use glass jars or special candle moulds.
Probably, and above all, if this is the first time you make homemade scented candles, they may have some imperfections, or there may be some scratches, holes, but, no problem, all you have to do is put a little alcohol on a cloth and gently rub the damaged area, and you’re done. Now you can decorate them as you want, you can decorate them with ribbons, fabrics, jute, flowers, etc. as you prefer so that the scented candles look beautiful.
As you have seen, it is very easy to make homemade scented candles, you just need a few things and ready, you can easily have some candles with your favorite scents, if you liked this activity, you can go perfecting it, making scented candles of different sizes, there are plenty of ideas.
What scents can you choose to make scented candles at home?
Of the great advantages of making your own homemade scented candles, you can choose the scent essences that you like best and especially those that you think match your personality. Here are some of the scent options you can choose from:
- Eucalyptus tree
- Aloe vera
- Citrus fruits like orange
Among others, many of these essential oils provide properties and health benefits. You can get them in specialized stores such as herbal shops, health food stores, or online stores.
You can use the scented candles you have made at home as an alternative to improve your health, and relax. Aromatherapy is an alternative medicine therapy, which uses essential oils or concentrates as a way to improve health, both physical and mental, and as its name suggests, instead of ingesting something, it is something that can be inhaled, and this therapy is proposed to produce sensations and improvements in the body through smells and aromas. This way of treatment is attributed to the properties of essential oils, which have been used in a medicinal way since ancient times.
They help to balance, relax, stimulate the mind, and even fight depression and anxiety naturally. Although there is no scientific evidence behind this natural alternative such as aromatherapy, it cannot be denied that the use of essential oils is very beneficial to the health and general well-being of the body. However, to be taken as a treatment, you should consult an alternative medicine specialist, so that they can indicate the best ways to take it, as well as take full advantage of the benefits of this therapy.
The scented candles you have made at home will serve as a natural way to relax, to rest better. Enjoy them in a hot bath, to aromatize your home.